Coral Expeditions announces the next edition of the ‘Citizen Science’ series as we undertake an immersive scientific expedition exploring the outer reefs and unique marine ecosystems of the Great Barrier Reef, in partnership with Australian Geographic. Departing Cairns with only 66 guests and researchers, our small expedition ship Coral Discoverer will visit remote reefs and wildlife habitats in the Coral Sea.
Learn about marine conservation work at the Turtle Rehabilitation Centre on Fitzroy Island as you meet with resident scientists at work along the way. Travel with a community of conservation-minded explorers and special guest lecturer Adam Smith of Reef Ecologic, who will share his extensive scientific and ecological knowledge. Gain access to far reaching and rarely visited atolls and reefs such as Holmes, Tregrosse and Diamond Reefs while contributing to conservation programs including biodiversity databases. Explore the historic Foam shipwreck with a senior maritime archeologist. Combine environmental impact and an expedition holiday on this hands-on journey of science and conservation.
- Gain valuable insights from onboard Master Reef Guide Katie Tuesley and expert host Adam Smith who will share scientific and conservation knowledge of the reef and its many species
- Learn about the important mission and work of Turtle Rehabilitation Centre on Fitzroy Island
- Meet with resident scientific researchers at Lizard Island Research Station to learn about projects that are making a difference in the conservation of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea Marine Park
- Contribute your observations of native birds to BirdLife Australia, an ever-growing collection of bird observations that track, record and share biodiversity knowledge
- Participate in scientific and conservation efforts to monitor and research marine biodiversity through programs including Eye on the Reef, GBRMPA Sightings Network, Coral Watch and Mangrove Watch
- Snorkel and dive at John Brewer Reef, home to the largest installation of Museum of Underwater Art (MOUA)
- Dive and snorkel in clear waters at remote Holmes, Tregrosse and Diamond reefs to encounter a wide variety of marine life
- Receive a Citizen Science exclusive Expedition Jacket