Join us on a special art-themed expedition to ancient rock art sites, connections with traditional elders on country and vibrant art and cultural communities. This is a one-off departure on 2nd September 2022.
Study cave walls and rock formations to reveal Wandjina and Gwion Gwion figures. Travel deep into the King George and Berkeley River systems to witness a landscape carved by the powerful forces of tides and monsoon rains. See mother nature’s artistic influence in the intricate weathering patterns of sandstone and ochre escarpments with colour gradients ranging to deep purple. Be immersed in the rich culture of the Tiwi Islands by visiting Munupi Arts Centre for a gallery viewing and a hands-on workshop with a local artist. As we explore the Tiwis, there will be opportunities to purchase art from the source and interact with the artists themselves. Our expedition will be led by an experienced team who will help guests discover and interpret well-preserved rock art hidden in natural galleries. This art themed experience will be enriched by special guest led art workshops onboard.
Special Guest Lecturer and artist Brian Robinson with be joining this departure, with his knowledge and expertise enriching the journey through onboard art workshops and on-site interpretation along the way.
- Walk amongst ancient Indigenous rock art galleries at Swift Bay, Bigge Island, Wollaston Bay and Vansittart Bay and learn about Wandjina and Gwion Gwion art history
- View striking rock formations and intricate honeycomb weathering patterns up close on Xplorer tender cruises at the King George and Berkeley River systems
- Visit Munupi Arts and Tiwi Design to view examples of both traditional and contemporary Tiwi art and experience these artistic traditions firsthand in a workshop with a local artist
- Be immersed into the remote Tiwi Islands on a cultural walking tour in the company of a local guide and enjoy a traditional dance performance
- Gain valuable historical and cultural insights from our expert expedition team and local guides
- Partake in onboard art workshops under the guidance of a special guest artist Brian Robinson