Join us aboard Coral Discoverer on our new special culture-themed expeditions as we set sail across the Joseph Bonaparte Gulf to discover the rich modern community of the Tiwi Islands and the ancient rock art of the eastern Kimberley.
With fewer than 70 guests, this 10-day journey will connect you with the vibrant modern culture of the Tiwi Islands and take in the vast Kimberley coast and its ancient rock art galleries dating back over 40,000 years. Visit a local co-operative gallery at Munupi Arts Centre where guests can purchase art at the source, participate in workshops and view cultural performances.
Discover natural cave galleries and rock formations to reveal Wandjina and Gwion Gwion figures. Travel deep into the King George and Berkeley River systems to witness a landscape carved by the powerful forces of tides and monsoon rains. Experience the majestic landscape and powerful natural forces of the Kimberley, on shore excursions to the King George Falls and the tidal phenomena of the Horizontal Waterfalls and Montgomery Reef.
- Visit Munupi Arts and Tiwi Design centres to discover both traditional and contemporary Tiwi art where you can purchase directly from the source
- Enjoy a hosted walk on country in the company of a local Tiwi guide and enjoy a traditional dance performance
- Gain valuable historical and cultural insights from our expert expedition team and local guides
- Partake in onboard art workshops under the guidance of a special guest artist and learn the skills of lino cutting, paper printing + more
- Walk among ancient Indigenous rock art galleries at Swift Bay, Bigge Island, Wollaston Bay and Vansittart Bay and learn about Wandjina and Gwion Gwion art history
- Experience wilderness cruising on our Xplorer vessels through the pristine marine sanctuary of the Lacepedes to spot rare seabirds, mating turtles and juvenile sharks and rays in the protected marine nursery
- Relish in the thrill of a zodiac ride through the rapids of the Horizontal Waterfall at Talbot Bay and be amazed tidal phenomena of Montgomery Reef as it emerges from the ocean depths on the lowering tide